Monday 2 May 2016

Launching the Blog

And here it begins...I'm not entirely sure what direction this blog may go but for now I am envisioning it as a casual spot that provides a bit of a glimpse into some of the trials, tribulations, and everyday-going-ons of a newer female rider :). All right, if I am to be honest, it likely will not be the "everyday going ons" since our riding season up here in North Central British Columbia does not exactly (sadly) afford year-round riding conditions. We are fortunate if our season runs from Apr/May-Sept/Oct before having to put the 2-wheeled beasties away for the winter.

I was always super fascinated with the notion of riding a motorcycle. Although I took the plunge and obtained my learners permit years ago, I never took the extra step to actually get on a bike and learn to ride. This was largely due to the fact that I really didn't really know anyone who rode who could help me learn how to ride. During those times, learners motorcycle riding courses were really not widely available. I suppose had I been of braver heart, I might have just jumped into the saddle and taken my chances...on that note, I was not without fear of the possibility of sustaining multiple fractures with rent and bills to pay and no solid leave benefits in case of injury lol so I figured better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, life plugged along and I let my dream of riding fade away.

Fast forward to the Spring of 2015...my resurgent interest in riding becomes a realty when I bite the bullet and register myself into a now-common learn-to-ride course! Knowing well that being a complete riding noob meant that I would most definitely not be a super-star on 2 wheels in any way, shape, or form, I put any pride I had aside and away I went. To my utmost happiness, I successfully passed the required MSA/MST (Motorcycle Skills Assessment/Test) at the end of the course which meant I was well on my way to my full moto-license!  

As a new-er rider (having only begun riding last Spring of 2015) who essentially went from never having ridden a motorcycle (much less barely having ever sat on one lol), to taking an introductory motorcycle riding (aka MSF-type) course that included about 2 days of parking lot riding skills time, to having now done about 7000 km of riding, I can already say it has been quite the learning process in a very short amount of time! I still have many more riding goals I wish to fulfill in the future: Perhaps a track day or two (or more!), a touring trip, and an upgrade at some point in time (maybe) from my trusty CBR250 (this may be difficult and will probably not happen any time soon as I LOVE that thing!).  

I must say I have been inspired by so many other women (and men too of course) who ride and their willingness and desire to share their experiences and knowledge with others. I have too many of such people to list here right now, so for now I will settle for saying a big "thank you" to them all.

Let's see where this may take me next :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment